Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Top 10 Best Foods To Eat in Spain - Part [2,2]

Many say that Crema Catalana is the same with the French Crème Brule, but there still are some tiny differences between the two fabulous desserts. For example, crème Brule is baked in a Bain-marie and is usually served warm, while the Catalan cream is always served cold and it has a custard infused with lemon rind and cinnamon, instead of vanilla, being much more refreshing than its stylish French sister.
I like them both, I love vanilla, but for a hot summer day, nothing compares with a Crema Catalana in Barcelona!

GAMBAS AJILLO (GARLIC PRAWNS)

gambas ajillo
Photo by rovingI
I am usually quite reticent when it comes to seafood but, believe me, gambas ajillo in Spain are simply delicious! Whether served as tapas or as a main dish, garlic prawns are very quick and easy to prepare: take some fresh prawns, cook them in a little olive oil with garlic and chili flakes and in about 10 minutes you’ll have one of the tastiest meals on your table. Buen provecho!

QUESO MANCHEGO (SPANISH SHEEP CHEESE)

Manchego cheese
Photo by Ignotus the Mage
Queso Manchego, also named The Cheese of Don Quixote due to the fact that Cervantes mentioned it in the legendary “Don Quixote of la Mancha” is a very tasty cheese made of sheep’s milk. The original Queso Manchego is exclusively prepared in La Mancha region from a specific sheep’s breed called “Manchega” but it can also be consumed all over Spain. I was lucky to try it in Madrid and I can say that its intense flavor has totally impressed me from the very first moment. Amazing!

ALLIOLI

Spanish garlic sauce
Photo by juantiagues
I’ve always thought allioli or aioli is a Spanish mayonnaise with lots of garlic. The truth is allioli is neither Spanish, nor French and not even Italian, it is actually originally for the Middle East, according to Jamie Oliver, and I have no choice but to believe him.
Anyway, I first ate it in Spain and for me it’s a Spanish sauce, a very addictive and tricky one. With such a simple recipe, allioli should be very easy to prepare. Well, it isn’t, at least not for me, that’s why I prefer to eat it in Spain with just about anything: tortilla, fish, baked potatoes, anything but sweet. Oh, Spain I miss you so much!

JAMON IBERICO IN MADRID

Spanish ham
Photo by Salvis Are
I would say that one thing that I mostly loved in Spain were those crowded long bars above which were hanging, instead of chandeliers, some huge chunks of “jamon”. So surprising at first sight and yet so original and pleasant! It was wonderful to have a drink while the bartender was cutting me a slice of the incredible ham. A great authentic experience that everyone should try while in Spain!

GRILLED FISH ON THE BEACH IN MARBELLA

Marbella grilled fish
Photo by Frank Kovalchek
If you happen to spend your vacation in Marbella or anywhere in Andalusia or Costa del Sol, you should try the grilled fresh fish on the beach.
Do not bother to find a restaurant; the Andalusian beaches are equipped with some ingenious boats filled with sand where the fishermen themselves cook some of the most delicious sardines on the burning coals. A nice meal, healthy and cheap, just perfect for a hot summer day on the beach!
In the end, I have to mention that each meal I served in Spain, in any area of the country and any of its islands, began with a traditional introduction – usually bread (toasted or not, black or white), a bowl of green marinated olives (sometimes accompanied by marinated little onions), and the well-known aioli (sometimes replaced with butter). These being said, I hope my article will help you to flavor a bit your Spanish experience!


Part 1 | 2

0 comments:

Post a Comment